Veggie Loaded Chicken Enchiladas (Gluten and Dairy free)

My family loves enchiladas! They're easy and delicious Who doesn't love all that gooey cheese, sour cream, and flour tortillas. I have to admit that tackling the idea of creating a dish my family loves with out the signature ingredients seemed daunting!

When you are eating a very strict diet and excluding gluten and dairy, its usually a good idea to make things yourself. Since I have a busy life I love to find healthy ingredients that work in a recipe and make life easier. I was thankful to find that the enchilada sauce I had on hand did not have any bad ingredients or chemicals in it, other than the fact that it was in a can. Next time I want to look for a delicious enchilada sauce in a jar, or tackle making my own. For now, I used what I had on hand. I found the first new ingredient for these enchiladas on a recent trip to the store. Tortilla Land makes amazing certified gluten free uncooked corn tortillas. These bad boys have a very homemade feel, and I knew they would stand up to their flour competition. Second, I knew I had to trick our eyes and brains into believing we were eating cheese. I chose some beautiful orange peppers I had on hand to do the trick. Garnishing the top of the enchiladas with these beautiful peppers gave just the right feel. Then to decide what to top it all off with, something comforting. Our usual guacamole involves some sour cream or mayo. This time I accomplished the same creamy topping sans dairy!

Veggie Loaded Chicken Enchiladas
Serves 3

6 corn tortillas (I love Tortilla Land's uncooked corn tortillas)
1 c. pre-cooked chicken, shredded (pick up a rotisserie chicken, or I used our leftover chicken from the night before)
Salsa
4 or 5 sweet baby bell peppers, diced
3/4 c. Enchilada sauce
Home made guacamole (recipe follows)

If you are using the uncooked corn tortillas, prepare them as directed. Fill each tortilla with 1/3 each chicken, peppers and salsa (I used La Mexicana brand but any chunky/pico de gallo style will do). Roll up each enchilada and place in 8x8 baking dish. Spoon enchilada sauce on top and garnish with peppers. Place in oven for 10-15 minutes. If tops dry out a bit, add a little more enchilada sauce. Serve with dairy free guacamole.

Dairy Free Guacamole

In a food processor or blender place:
2 avocados
1/4 c. Cilantro
1/4 c. Salsa

Blend until smooth.

These enchiladas were a hit with my whole family, including my two year old! Hopefully this meal can bring comfort food back to the table on a restricted diet for you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment