Bowl of Soul Remake!


Photo: Have you ever experienced Java's "Bowl of Soul"? This Java signature drink is made with only organic coffee, delicious Mexican chocolate, and homemade whipped cream!

For those of you from my hometown, you understand the phrase Bowl of Soul. For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about, it is the most heavenly cup of coffee from our local Java spot. It's a mix of espresso, Mexican hot chocolate and coffee. This has been one thing I have craved constantly through my Whole30. I have been trying to get the same flavor through a cup of coffee at home, and I think I finally mastered it! However through my attempts to remake this delicious cup of coffee, I discovered that traditional Mexican hot chocolate has cayenne in it. Sounds delicious right? Well, since I have started avoiding nightshades, cayenne is out for me! I need to find out if it is in my favorite Bowl of Soul. In the meantime making something at home compared to $4 or $5 for going out is always better, and you know what the ingredients are! So here is my Bowl of Soul remake. If your on a Whole30, just remove the honey and add extra coconut milk to make this compliant! Enjoy!

Megan's Bowl of Soul Remake

1 12 oz cup of piping hot coffee
(Or 8 oz of coffee and 2 shots of espresso)
3 tbs. full fat canned coconut milk
1 tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbs. honey

Mix coconut milk with cocoa, honey and cinnamon. Add to coffee and stir until dissolved. This may take a few minutes to really get the cocoa to dissolve, but stirring it into the coconut milk first helps. After it's blended top with a sprinkle of cocoa and cinnamon. My local coffee house tops theirs with the most amazing home made whipped cream, you could do something similar with full fat coconut milk that has been in the fridge for a few days. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment